Skip Navigation Links
ONLINE SERVICES
About Us
Customer Care
Safety
Tariffs
Frequently Asked Questions
Load Shedding
Bylaws
News
Quality of Supply
Annual Report
Contact Us
Electricity

eThekwini Electricity is the licensed electricity distributor of the eThekwini Municipality, on the east coast of South Africa.
 
We purchase approximately 11 000 gWh of power annually from Eskom at 275 000 volts. eThekwini Electricity transforms and redistributes this power to approximately 700 000 customers, ranging from the large sophisticated customer supplied at 132 000 volts, to the rural and peri-urban informal communities supplied at 230V.
 
Approximately 30% of our energy sold is consumed by our residential sectors, and the remaining 70% to our business customers.
 
EThekwini Electricity operates under the Electricity Regulation Act of 2006. Its policies are determined by the eThekwini Municipality and the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA).
 
EThekwini Electricity supplies more than 700 000 customers in an area covering nearly 2 000 square kilometres. This encompasses the area of the eThekwini Metropolitan Region and some adjacent areas. Electricity for the main supply to the Metro Region is purchased at 275 000 volts from Eskom at three in-feed points, feeding to four in-feed substations.
 
EThekwini Electricity also purchases electricity from Eskom for Tongaat, Winkelspruit, Mpumalanga and Magabeni. From these points it is transmitted and distributed for use by the full spectrum of customers ranging from the large, industrial and commercial sector to the residential communities. EThekwini Electricity purchases just over 5% of the total energy generated by Eskom.
 
EThekwini Electricity operates under the Electricity Regulation Act, 2006. Its policies are determined by the Metropolitan Council of Durban and the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA).
 
 
   Load Shedding Schedules: For more information click here
 
 
WEATHER
Partly Cloudy
High: 21°C
Low: 14°C
Partly Cloudy
IMPORTANT NUMBERS
Fire Department & Metro Police:
031 361 0000
Water and Traffic Hotline:
080 131 3013
Electricity Contact Centre:
080 13 13 111
QUICK LINKS
CITY MAPS
City Maps
FOLLOW US
Find us on Facbook   YouTube   follow us on twitter  
ABOUT DURBAN   |   CITY GOVERNMENT   |   SERVICES   |   ONLINE TOOLS   |   MEDIA & PUBLICATION   |   RESOURCE CENTRE   |   PAY COUNCIL BILLS

Home | Privacy policy | Disclaimer | Sitemap | Vacancies | Contact us

© eThekwini Municipality 2011